Human Performance Improvement (HPI) For Energy Industry
Learn the process that unlocks human potential, reduces organizational events by reducing errors and learning from failure to overcome organizational barriers to success.
Accident reports show that as many as 90% of industrial accidents have been attributed to human error. Data shows 94% of car accidents are caused by Human Error. Medical Human Error in hospitals is the 3rd leading cause of death. The average company wastes $637 per year per employee on human errors. For power plants/ electric utilities industry, that number is much higher.
“Human error” is often attributed as the cause to most of our power plant events, whether we are talking about injuries, equipment damage, unit trips, environmental releases, etc. This leaves everyone wondering, “How can we reduce events caused by human fallibility?” For too long, there hasn’t been a good answer to that question.
Successful organizations need every advantage possible, including those provided by event prevention and operational learning to be profitable. As a result, over the past several years, several industries have been bringing together improvement, learning, and leadership concepts to form a holistic approach to create robust system integrity.
Human Performance Improvement (HPI) is the application of principles and techniques specifically designed to reduce organizational events. Learning from failure, cognitive science, and the people that do the work can improve any process in any organization – large or small, public or private. We will learn how to leverage Human Performance to improve reliability, safety, and employee engagement
After deploying a robust Human Performance Improvement effort, companies typically see more than a 40% decrease in human errors and the costs associated with them. The safety impacts are often even a quicker impact seeing a 50%-70% reduction in serious events.
This course will give you the information you need to start down that path and it will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to reduce events caused by human error in your organization, and it will enable you to be a better leader.
Applicable to all levels in the organization. Beginner’s level will walk away with a very robust understanding of HPI. However, those who have some exposure to HPI will also benefit, because this course captures the best attributes of emerging HPI concepts from throughout the industry. Power generation, transmission, distribution and substations: Directors, Managers, Supervisors, Technicians and Coordinators of:
- Plant Managers / Station Manager
- Combustion turbine (Gas Turbines) / Hydro Operation / Thermal Assets / Renewable Energy
- Maintenance / Planner / Scheduler
- Operational Experience/Excellence Personnel / Operation Support / Operations / Shift Manager
- Electrical engineers
- Transmission and Distribution / Substation Technical Services Manager
- Safety Personnel / Process Improvement Leaders / Human Resource Managers / Human performance
You will Learn
- Develop a broad and deep understanding of why and how people deviate from expectation
- Discuss and apply a set of human error reduction tools in a power plant context including:
- Pre-job brief
- 3-way communication
- Phonetic alphabet
- Post-job review
- Stop when unsure and questioning attitude
- 2-minute rule
- Procedure use & adherence with place-keeping
- Peer check
- Explore the most common responses to failure and how those responses usually guarantee recurrence.
- Apply a flexible and robust approach to event responses through a series of dynamic learning activities and power industry studies.
- Overview of HPI
- Human Performance Tools
- How our Response to Failure Leads to More Failure
- How to Learn from Events
- Case Studies
- Oil & Gas
- How to Implement Human Performance (Guide)
- 22 years of experience and expert in Human Performance, Operational Excellence and process improvement with 11 years of experience in Power Generation.
- President - Human Performance Root Cause & Trending Association.
- Currently holds the position of Fleet Operational Excellence & Human Performance Manager for the Luminant generation (Largest power producer in TX 17,500 MW) and mining fleet.
- Served as a consultant, coach and educator to leaders and employees at some of the world’s best High Reliability Organizations.
- Has worked with companies such as Emerson Electric, Eaton, Denso, Tyco, Ford, GM, Harman Kardon, Sumitomo, DANA, Weyerhaeuser, and Siemens.
- >$92 Million bottom line improvements for the organization. (This 92 million cost reduction is a recurring savings not just one year)
- >$56 Million for the generation fleet due to best practices in cost and operation
- 273% increase in near miss reporting
- 70% reduction in OSHA recordable
- Shingo Silver Medallion Winner
- AME Regional Winner
- Scorecard and cascading KPI creation from fleet to site and management to front line
- Established a lunch and learn to further the understanding of statistical tools / problem solving
- Removed 6 days per Dragline outage resulting in lower costs and higher productivity
- Highest total number and highest percentage of workforce Lean Certified
- Value Capture leader
- Led the Railroad Traffic Management kaizen (control time dropped 60% = $3.2 million saved)